Effective Date: September 24, 2010
1. User Consent
Your Personal Information may be processed and stored in other countries, including the United States, but will not be used or disclosed for purposes beyond those you have given consent to or which are permitted pursuant to the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (Canada) and will be secured by means appropriate to the sensitivity of the Personal Information.
We are committed to protecting the security of your Personal Information. We use a variety of industry-standard security technologies and procedures to help protect your Personal Information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. Even though we have taken significant steps to protect your Personal Information, no company, including us, can fully eliminate security risks associated with Personal Information.
3. Collection of Personal Information and Anonymous Information
ethicalDeal collects personal information ("Personal Information") and non-personal information ("Anonymous Information") about ethicalDeal.com users.
- Personal Information. Your Personal information typically includes your name, billing address, telephone number and e-mail address. Your credit card number and other related information is necessary to fulfill any orders you place on ethicalDeal.com. In addition, we keep a record of your past purchases, returns, and credits. We may also ask you for information regarding your personal preferences and demographics to help us better meet your needs. If you personalize your profile and use the features of ethicalDeal, we will collect any information you voluntarily provide. We collect information that you submit during your use of our services, such as photos, videos, reviews, ratings and other information you choose to submit. We may also collect information about you from any social network you may have connected from, in order to provide you with a more personalized experience. Providing us with your Personal Information is always your choice. If you choose to register, create an account, access our services, purchase something, submit content in discussion forums, send feedback, participate in a contest via ethicalDeal.com or any other means, you agree to provide your personal information. Certain services can only be offered if you provide Personal Information to ethicalDeal. Consequently, if you and your representatives choose not to provide us with any required Personal Information, we may not be able to offer you certain services.
- Anonymous Information. Anonymous Information is information that we do not associate with or trace back to a specific individual. ethicalDeal's web servers collect some Anonymous Information automatically when you visit ethicalDeal.com that helps us define the type of user that accesses ethicalDeal.com. This information may include the address or URL of the webpages you visit prior to and after visiting ethicalDeal.com, the type of web browser and operating system you are using, the level of encryption that your browser supports, your Internet Protocol address, and the pages you visit on our site.
4. Use of your Information
We manage your Personal Information and Anonymous Information to offer you the best possible experience when visiting ethicalDeal.com.
We use your Personal Information to communicate with you, process orders and improve ethicalDeal.com. Your Personal Information may be disclosed to specific members of our staff and to select third parties (such as our credit card processor and ethicalDeal Merchants) involved in the completion of your order.
We may also use your email address to notify you about new services or special promotional programs, or send you offers or information if you have opted-in. Emails are sent only to ethicalDeal members who have chosen to recieve them (by subscribing or registering) or who have made a purchase on ethicalDeal.com. At any time, you can notify us that you wish to stop receiving these emails, by unsubscribing to them.
We may use and display your full name and email address when you send an email notification to a friend through ethicalDeal or the social network from which you have connected to ethicalDeal (such as in an invitation, or when sharing your content). Additionally, we use your email address to contact you on behalf of your friends (such as when someone sends you a personal message) or notifications from a social network or other website with whom you have registered to receive such notifications.
In addition, if you use ethicalDeal.com to send information or a product to another person ("recipient"), we may store your Personal Information, and the Personal Information of any recipient. We may use the recipient's contact information to allow him or her to view and accept your gift or to allow the recipient to access the information you requested we send.
ethicalDeal stores your friend's name and email address for the sole purpose of sending this one-time email, sending your gift, and tracking the success of our referral program. Your friend may contact us at support@ethicalDeal.com to request that we remove this information from our database.
The Anonymous Information gathered from ethicalDeal.com is used primarily for technical, research and analytical purposes and occasionally for security investigations. We analyze the various sections of ethicalDeal.com in order to gather demographic information, determine how ethicalDeal.com is being used and what kind of customers we attract. We may share some of the findings with third party service providers, advertisers, strategic partners, and others in order to help grow our business.
Any communications between you and ethicalDeal, such as email or other correspondence, in which you offer suggestions or comments for improving or modifying the Site or our Services ("Feedback") will be deemed by us to be non-confidential and non-proprietary, and you agree that (a) ethicalDeal is therefore not subject to any confidentiality obligations in respect to the Feedback, (b) the Feedback is not confidential or proprietary information of any third party and you have all of the necessary rights to disclose the Feedback to ethicalDeal, (c) ethicalDeal (including all of its successors and assigns) may freely use, reproduce, publicize, license, distribute, and otherwise commercialize Feedback on the Site or in any of our Services, and (d) you are not entitled to receive any compensation or re-imbursement of any kind from ethicalDeal or any of the users of the Site.
5. Sharing of your Information
We will not sell, trade, rent, or otherwise share your Personally Identifiable information with other parties except as stated below:
Public Content. If you post content for public view on ethicalDeal.com ("Public Content"), it may be accessible by other consumers and companies and may appear on other websites or web searches, and therefore this information could be read, collected, and used by others. We may distribute such Public Content to a wider audience by sharing it (or portions of it) with third parties for promotional purposes. Exercise caution when posting any Personal Information, as we are not responsible to control who reads your postings or what other users may do with the information you voluntarily post.
Third Party Service Providers. We may share your Personal Information with any third party service providers. For example, we may use third parties to provide technical and customer support, host ethicalDeal.com, operate various features made available on ethicalDeal.com, send emails, analyze data, provide search results and links, perform payment processing and assist in fulfilling your orders.
ethicalDeal Merchants. We may share some of your Personal Information with ethicalDeal Merchants that provide the product or services that you order from ethicalDeal.com. Some of these third parties or Merchants may need access to your information in order to make the services provided through ethicalDeal.com work. In the course of daily operations, access to private, sensitive and confidential information is restricted to authorized employees who have a legitimate business purpose and reason for accessing it.
- take action regarding suspected illegal activities;
- comply with legal process and law enforcement instructions and orders, such as a search warrant, subpoena, statute, judicial proceeding, governmental order, or other legal process served on us;
- protect our rights, reputation, and property, or that of our users, affiliates, or the public; or
- fight fraud and credit risk.
Only the information specifically requested is disclosed and we take precautions to satisfy ourselves that the authorities that are making the request have legitimate grounds to do so.
Aggregate information. ethicalDeal may disclose some Anonymous Information. We may share some of the findings of our analysis of non-personal information with third party service providers, advertisers, affiliates, strategic partners, and others in order to help grow our business. We may also publish this information for promotional purposes or as a representative audience for our advertisers. Please note that this is not Personally Identifiable Information, only general summaries of the activities of our Users.
6. Tracking Devices
Cookies: On ethicalDeal.com, cookies are used to improve your experience and save you time. A cookie is a small computer file or piece of information that may be stored in your computer's hard drive when you visit ethicalDeal.com. Cookies help us to recognize you each time you visit our website. Cookies cannot view or retrieve data from other cookies, nor can they capture any files and data stored on your computer.
Other Tracking Devices. We may use other industry standard technologies like pixel tags and web beacons to track your use of ethicalDeal.com's pages and promotions, or we may allow our third party service providers to use these devices on our behalf. Pixel tags and web beacons are tiny graphic images placed on certain pages on ethicalDeal.com, or in our emails that allow us to determine whether you have performed a specific action. When you access these pages or open or click an email, pixel tags and web beacons generate an anonymous notice of that action. Pixel tags allow us to measure and improve our understanding of visitor traffic and behavior on ethicalDeal.com, as well as give us a way to measure our promotions and performance. We may also utilize pixel tags and web beacons provided by our affiliates and/or marketing partners for the same purposes.
7. Updating your Information
You can access and update your Personal information on ethicalDeal.com through a password and your email address or by sending an email to support@ethicalDeal.com. If your Personal Information changes, we encourage you to update it promptly.
You may request deletion of your Personal Information by contacting us at privacy@ethicalDeal.com, but please note that we may be required (by law or otherwise) to keep this information and not delete it (or to keep this information for a certain time, in which case we will comply with your deletion request, only after we have fulfilled such requirements). Since we keep track of past transactions, you cannot delete information associated with past transaction on the Website. When we delete Personal Information, it will be deleted from the active database, but may remain in our archives.
The Site is intended for general audiences and is not to be used by individuals ("minors") under 18 years old. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from anyone under the age of 18. If you become aware that your child has provided us with Personal Information without your consent, please contact us at privacy@ethicalDeal.com. If we become aware that a minor has provided us with Personal Information without parental consent, we take steps to remove such information and terminate their account.
10. Third Party Websites
11. Governing Law
12. Contact Us
Ethico Solutions, Inc. c/o EthicalDeal
170 - 422 Richards Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 2Z4
Attn: Privacy Officer
ethicalDeal will endeavor to deal with all such questions, comments or suggestions in a timely manner.