ethicalDeal’s Chief Ambassador Annalea Krebs recently had the pleasure of attending a dinner party where she met ethicalShopper Linsday Clark and tried her delicious Chocolate Quinoa Ganache. Linsday agreed to share the recipe with you, our blog readers!
Why is quinoa so awesome? It’s a nutritious, balanced protein high in fiber and vitamins, and it’s also gluten-free! Is there anything quinoa can’t do?! Try this superfood dessert at your next dinner party.
This recipe hails from a fabulous book called Quinoa 365, written by sisters Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming, who both have a passion for all things quinoa. I’ve modified it slightly.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup agave syrup or maple syrup (recipe called for white sugar but this is much healthier!)
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour
- 5 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh berries for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Lightly grease and flour a 10 inch springform pan or spray with cooking oil.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan on medium-low heat. Stir in 1 cup of the dark chocolate chips and mix until almost melted. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let them finish melting.
- Whisk the cocoa powder and flour in a large bowl until well combined. Whisk in the eggs, agave or maple syrup and sour cream until thoroughly mixed. Whisk in the melted chocolate butter mixture.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake on the center oven rack for 40 to 45 minutes or until a knife comes out mostly clean when inserted in the middle of the cake. Be careful not to over bake it! Once removed form the oven, place a piece of foil over the top of the cake pan to keep it from drying out, and give it some time to cool off.
- When the cake is completely cool, remove it from the pan and invert it onto a flat platter to showcase your creation.
- Place the remaining 1 cup of chocolate chips in a medium bowl. Heat the whipping cream in a small saucepan and watch it like a hawk so it doesn’t boil over. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips and whisk until smooth. Blend in the vanilla and let cool briefly. Taste the spoon and smile!
- Pour the chocolate frosting over the cake starting at the centre and spiraling outward. Let it drizzle over the edges and play with the design.
- Garnish with raspberries or something pretty. Store covered for up to a week, if you can resist finishing it before then! Enjoy!
Tags: foodie friday quinoa recipe