I can always tell when fall creeps into Vancouver: the oversized golf umbrellas start to appear, my Hunters come out of storage and a nostalgic craving for comfort food hits our house like a hurricane. Here’s my man’s recipe for Vegetarian (or Vegan) Chili that is sure to satisfy. Side note: my carnivorous father still has no idea this recipe contains no meat… let this be our little secret.
What you’ll need:
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 can (28oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can red kidney beans (I like half red and half black beans) drained + rinsed
- 1/2-cup tomato juice
- 2 packages of Yves Veggie Ground Round
- 1/2 can corn niblets (ha ha…niblets)
- 2-3 carrots
- 1/4-cup maple syrup
In large saucepan (we use a big chili pot) heat oil over medium heat. Fry onion, garlic, oregano and salt, stirring occasionally until onion is softened – about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, chili powder and cumin; cook for 1 minute.
Add tomatoes, beans, tomato juice, carrots and Yves Veggie Groun Round, breaking up with spoon (I break up the Yves in a bowl beforehand). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, add in corn and maple syrup and stir occasionally until thickened.
- If you’re just serving 3-5 people, the amounts listed should be fine. Double the recipe if you want to freeze it for a quick and easy lunch.
- Feel free to experiment with spices! Remember some like it hot. I always add extra chili peppers to my portion!
- A cup of this gem with a side salad will keep the brain working and your skinny jeans intact. If you’re more of a Pajama Jean person then check out the optional additions below.
Optional additions: Cook basmati rice to go with it. You can also top this beast with grated cheddar cheese (or Daiya cheese for my vegan brothers and sisters). We highly recommend tortilla chips for dipping (with my personal favourite being Fresh is Best).
Shared with love,
Oli at ethicalDeal
Tags: chili comfort food Recipes vegan chili vegetarian chili